Monday, April 23, 2012

My first Day

Where do I begin?  There's so much to say, but I don't want to ramble on like an incoherent druggie.  But that's kind of how I feel. High on success.
This morning, I was fretting a little.  And the more I sat in my apartment, the worse it got.  So I said, "screw it" and went in at 8:00 instead of 8:30.  Which is good, because the head teacher wanted me to introduce myself at 8:20. Lucky me.  It was also cool, because of the BAJILLION elementary schoool kids who were arriving at the same time.  They were very excited to see me. And it put me at ease.  Cuz worst case scenario, even if I'm a bad teacher, the kids like me at least.
Everything was awesome.  The teachers were really warm and receptive.  I showed the head teacher my lesson plan, and she said it was really good, then made copies, and handed it out to all of the fifth grade teachers.  So then off I went.  Aside from a little girl crying when I said Hello, it went really well. I forgot to play Janken, which I was supposed to do to eat up some time and find someone to talk to, but it worked out in the end.  The kids, for the most part, all really liked my song.  Which made me happy.  When they were walking me back to class, they kept singing it. And that's fine by me.
I taught for classes today.  All the same lesson. And I will do the same tomorrow, and probably for the rest of the week. Which is fine, cuz it's an awesome lesson. *brushes shoulders off*  So after the first time, not that I ever really get nervous, but all the reasons I had to be nervous were gone.  I had affirmation that my lesson was solid, so I didn't need to worry anymore.
Lunch was great. I ate with my third class.  All of the girls kept staring at me, and when I looked over, they would break out in hysterical giggling. So I rolled with it.  Better than crying.  And they would huddle into groups, and come up with a question, then force some poor soul to ask me.  I tried to be warm and inviting, but I'm just too big for Japan.  I bumped my head on a "doorway", my shoes don't fit in the locker, and the kids kept commenting on just how big I was.
After school, I went to watch the brass band rehearsal.  Or I tried to anyways.  The kids rehearse themselves when the teacher isnt present.  Once they broke into sectionals, though, it was kind of game off.  Some of them lingered in the main room and started asking questions, which led to a tour of all the rooms, which led to one of them seeing that I had big hands and feet, which led to a person by person comparison of EVERY person in the band.  At that point, I decided to leave, lest absolutely nothing get accomplished.
The only bad thing is.....social fo paws. ( I have no idea how to spell faux paux?)  I think I was good for most of the day, but I'm pretty sure I messed up when I was trying to leave. Unbeknownst to me, the teachers were having a meeting that I basically barged in upon.  Then it was really awkward, and I don't knwo how to make it less awkward.  So I tried to grab my stuff and leave, but without making too much noise, and eventually the head teacher came and said I was ok and that I could go.
All in all, today was awesome, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the year.

1 comment: